The Great night of Lord Shiva or Mahashivratri is one of the most auspicious Hindu festivals and would be celebrated on March 4th this year. And we know a lot of devotees would be preparing to observe the day-long fast. For the unaware, a lot of people choose to go through the whole day without eating anything at all during the fast, while others go on a
Which is why we caught up with Executive Chef Sujeet Singh at Radisson Noida to bring you the quickest and easiest Shivratri fast recipes!
- Saboodana Kheer
4 cups Milk, 1 tbsp Sago (saboodana) granules, 3/4 cup: Sugar, 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder and 1 cup: Water
- Wash and drain sago, keep aside for 10 minutes and when moisture is absorbed, loosen grains.
- Heat water. Add sago, bring to a boil while stirring, simmer for 5-6 minutes, and then add milk; bring back to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Add sugar, cardamom.
- Stir occasionally, simmer till sago granule is cooked, but not mushy and check by pressing it between thumb and finger. Serve hot.
1 liter Milk , 3/4 cup Sugar, 2 Saffron strands, 1/4 cup Almond, 1/4 cup Cashew nuts, 1/4 cup Pistachios, 2 tablespoons Fennel Seeds (Saunf), 2 tablespoons Poppy seeds, 2 teaspoons Cardamom Powder (Elaichi) , 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini) and 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- Soak the almonds in hot water for about 10 minutes. Add the blanched almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, cinnamon, fennel seeds cardamom, black pepper and poppy seeds into a blender.
- Add a 1/4 cup of milk and grind the dry fruits into a fine paste (which is the thandai spice mixture). In a saucepan; add milk and saffron. Bring the milk mixture to a boil. Then add sugar and simmer stirring continuously till the sugar melts.
- Add in the mixture into the milk and simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the thandai to cool and refrigerate.
3. Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Poori
1 cup Kuttu Flour, 1 cup Singhara flour, 1 large Boiled and peeled potato, 1 medium Boiled and peeled arbi , 15 -20 pieces of Fresh Spinach leaves, 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder, 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder), Salt to taste (Vrat salt – Sendha namak) and Oil for Frying.
- In a large bowl combine potato and arbi and mash them finely. Then mix in all the spices and add chopped spinach leaves.
- Finally add the flours and mix and carefully add in water to form a dough.
- Meanwhile, heat and grease a tawa and make round balls out of the dough and brush it with oil in the form of a roti.
- In a pan, deep fry the rotis and once golden brown from both the sides take it off the flame.
4. Makhana Kheer
1 Litre Milk, 1/4 cup Makhana (puffed lotus seeds), 2 tbsp Sugar, 2 tsp Pistachios, chopped, 2 tsp Almonds, chopped and 1 tsp Green cardamom powder (optional)
- In a deep vessel, pour in the milk, break the makhanas into smaller pieces, add them to the milk and let it simmer for about 1 to 2 hours without covering, till the milk boils down and the seeds are soft.
- Add the sugar and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the pistachios, almonds and cardamom powder, stir well again.
- Serve hot or cold, as you like.
5. Lauki Ka Halwa
1/2 lit.-milk, 1/2 peeled –
lauki& grate it. Then Boil laukiin a pan in a very small quantity of water.
- Put milk in a large pan and boil for about 20 min.on medium flame, stir, then put the boiled
laukiin the pan, mix well and let becomes semi solid(almost 20 min.), meanwhile grate khoya & mix in the pan.
- Add sugar, mix till it dissolves. Add dry fruits &
- It is ready to serve, chilled or hot.
(Featured Image Source: Spice N Flavours)